Coming October 2017, Google will start to mark websites “Not Secure” for HTTP websites. Chrome Web Browser will display the word “Not Secure” for any site running without an SSL/HTTPS certificate. If a customer can enter information via a form or input field, these fields will need to be secured with an SSL certificate.
We also expect that traffic and SEO optimisation will lean favorably to sites with HTTPS (SSL Certificate) than sites without. It would be best to keep track of your stats in Google Analytics in October once this change is implemented by Google. Sites without SSL/HTTPS will most likely see a drop in traffic and search placement.
What is the benefit of using HTTPS (SSL)?
Google is heading down the path to a secure web. Where information is protected and your customer security is a priority. With an SSL certificate and accessing your site via HTTPS, there are many benefits such as:
- Business Authority and trust. You customers can verify the SSL and know they are dealing with a reputable company. A green padlock “Secure” is displayed in the address bar of your browser.
- Encrypt and exchange data between your web host and your customers knowing that no one in the middle is viewing your information. Protected and Insured.
- Data sent from your server to the customer can’t be modified or changed. Usernames, passwords, and sensitive information are protected in the transmission.
- Defend your web server from malware and attacks from third parties.
What is the cost for HTTPS?
There is a cost to small business to change to HTTPS. An initial SSL purchase to protect your domain and server. There are implementation and testing costs as well as website maintenance cost to update existing links, redirect old links and force the SSL certificate on the domain. Cost Breakdown: Average cost for SSL per year = $120.00AUD. SSL certificates are usually issued within 24 hours.
How hard is it to move an existing site to HTTPS?
Overall this is not a difficult job. For a standard HTML website, the process can take under 20 minutes. For WordPress and content management sites, it can take around 1 – 2 hours depending if existing links need to be redirected and modifications to the database.
Can Business Outsource this task to CMather Web Development?
Yes, we can update your website to comply with HTTPS and SSL. Costs will vary depending on your business and platform used for your server. You will still need to purchase your own SSL certificate under your name or company. * We can help you with this process. If you like more information or talk to a representative, please contact us and we’ll get back to you within a few hours.
Further Reading from External Blogs
- Google Warnings For Form Input Over HTTP Coming in October
- Next steps toward more connection security
- Google reminds website owners to move to HTTPS before October deadline