Web designing is an art and web development is the shield that protects it. There may be thousands of factors to consider and innumerable things to take into account while a developer is indulged in the act of crafting a website. All this is done to get high rankings in the renowned search engines and attract huge traffic to the website. The most prominent thing that contributes to this success of a website is Search Engine Optimization (SEO). There is no need of appointing a dedicated search engine expert if the web developer himself is equipped with certain simple and handy SEO tips at the time of web development.
- Content is always the King: Content is always the King. Ensure that you do not load your web pages just for the sake of filling it. Original and fresh content will always pay you back and help you gain high rankings in the popular search engines. This has become even stronger with the search giant, Google’s launch of the search engine algorithms like Panda update and Penguin update. Though you dream of presenting your website with flowery and colourful stuff, what matters at the end is the unique, informative, impressive and educative content aimed to transform value to the visitors of your website.
- Keywords count higher: Powerful content becomes majestic with the optimal use of appropriate keywords with which your target group actually looks for a website. You create a chance of being ranked higher only if your title, headings, sub-headings and content have the most effective keywords. Google can be your best friend as you can take a call on the most objective keywords by searching its relevance in the top ten rankings related to your stream. Ensure that you bring in the most important keywords in the first eight words of your title tag to enable Google and other search engines like Bing and Yahoo! to display your website within the top 10 rankings.
- First paragraph leaves the first impression: No doubt in this statement. First paragraph of every page matters the most. It can even be called as the influencing factor as people tend to read the first paragraph first and would prefer continuing only if it sounds good and interesting. Make certain that you talk about the essence of your web page and key in the relevant keywords here as well.
- Let the URLs be search engine friendly: Make certain that the URLs of your website are search-engine friendly with self-explanatory words and the relevant keywords of that particular web page. This gives a clear input concerning what the page is all about and such expressive URLs have the higher possibility of being ranked higher than the ordinary ones.
- Focus on the quality of the links: Quality of the inbound and outbound links has a strong word to say when it comes to search engine ranking. Poor quality of links has every possibility to degrade, deteriorate and decline your rankings in the search engines. To whom you link and who links to your website has an impact on your rankings in the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs). Be careful while linking to other websites and make sure that those websites have high page rankings. Avoid linking to spam websites that can even make your website being reprimanded by the search engines.
- Ensure easy accessibility: The accessibility of your website is a crucial factor determining the repeated use of your site ensuring that the ultimate users are often benefited with the prompt delivery of required content. Server response time, page functionality and strength of the HTML elements used in your website are responsible for easy and trouble-free accessibility.
- Things to remember: Apart from these things, you should also focus on certain other elements like optimising your Robots.txt, apposite anchor text of the links and most advantageous use of the ALT attribute, as these things also contribute to your search engine rankings.
Only an enhanced and elegant web presentation with minimal ads, quick navigation and effective layout can compliment your content and the entire search ranking of your website.
Brian Taylor is the VP, Business Development at Forix, a web design company based in Portland, OR. Forix specialises in web design and development for small, medium and large company websites, e-commerce systems.